3 Helpful tips to choose a dieting approach best for you
Adam covers 3 helpful steps to keep you on track.
When it comes to dieting, achieving short-term results is important, but true success lies in maintaining those results and fine-tuning your physique over the long term. Unfortunately, the majority of diets fail, with alarming statistics showing that more than two-thirds of dieters actually gain back the weight they lost. To help you overcome this challenge, we've compiled three simple steps that can guide you towards a successful approach to dieting.
- Write down your goals using the SMART system:
Research has shown that individuals who write down their goals are approximately 42% more likely to achieve them. Consider printing out your goals and placing them in visible locations, such as your desk, bathroom mirror, or the back of your toilet door, to keep them at the forefront of your mind. To set effective goals, follow the SMART system:
- Specific: Make your goals precise and well-defined, avoiding broad statements that lack clarity.
- Measurable: Ensure your goals are quantifiable so that you can track your progress over time, whether it's on a weekly, monthly, or yearly basis.
- Actionable: Your goals should be actionable, allowing you to take concrete steps towards achieving them.
- Realistic: Set realistic goals that are attainable within a reasonable timeframe. Remember that sustainable weight loss takes time.
- Timely: Establish clear deadlines for each goal, holding yourself accountable for their achievement.
By writing down your SMART goals, you enhance your chances of success by 1.2 to 1.4 times, as research suggests.
- Evaluate long-term sustainability:
Avoid drastic and unsustainable approaches to dieting, as they often lead to a backlash. Ask yourself whether you can envision using the chosen approach indefinitely. Opt for a strategy that can seamlessly integrate into your lifestyle, ensuring that once you achieve your desired goal, you possess the tools necessary to maintain it. Planning for the post-diet phase is crucial for long-term success.
- Develop a post-diet game plan:
Many people overlook the importance of what comes after a dieting period, which is a critical phase that sets the stage for weight regain. Dieting can be likened to controlled starvation, signaling to your body that food is scarce. Consequently, when the diet is over, the instinct to celebrate often leads to indulging in food and alcohol. This transition can be challenging, as your body has undergone significant changes and you may have even invested in a new wardrobe. This vulnerable period, which I refer to as the "red zone," carries a substantial risk of weight regain if not managed carefully.
While achieving short-term weight loss may seem like the ultimate measure of success, a truly successful diet is one that focuses on maintaining and fine-tuning your physique over the long term. By writing down your goals using the SMART system, evaluating the sustainability of your approach, and developing a post-diet game plan, you can increase your chances of maintaining your desired weight and avoiding the common pitfalls of weight regain. Remember, the key to success lies not just in losing weight, but in keeping it off for good.
Adam | Team TSN