Slow cooked beef stroganoff
Macros are with mashed potato
- Lean diced beef (I use the Woolworths Heart Smart)
- Beef stroganoff recipe base (I use the dry Continental packet or wet-base Masterfoods packet)
- Olive oil: 1 teaspoon
- Onion: 100g (sliced/diced)
- Mushrooms: 300g (sliced/diced)
- Garlic: 20g (crushed/finely diced)
- Tomato paste: 40g
- Water: 1/2 cup
- Low fat yoghurt: 60g (I use Chobani)
- Green beans: 400g
- Low carb potatoes: 800g
- Low fat milk: 80mls
- Salt and pepper: to taste
- Brown the steak in half of the oil in a fry pan or wok over a medium to high heat, then add to slow cooker.
- Pan fry the onion and mushrooms in the remaining oil over a medium heat until just starting to brown (add some water if starting to stick), then add to the slow cooker.
- Add recipe base, tomato paste, garlic and water to the ingredients in the slow cooker. Mix to combine. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 6-8 hours or until the steak is tender. Add more water if required.
- Peel, steam/boil and mash the potatoes with the milk. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Steam/microwave the green beans.
- When ready to serve, add the yoghurt to the slow cooker ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Plate up, serving with the beans on the side or mixed through the stroganoff.
(When served with mashed potato)
RECIPE HACKS AND UPGRADES
You can serve this with any base you like really – mashed potato, pasta, rice, even on toast for a hearty brekkie; or low carb options such as zucchini spirals or a bed of iceberg lettuce or baby spinach.
You don’t need to slow cook, the beef is just much more tender when you do. When choosing a lean cut of beef it can go tough pretty easily which is why I slow cook mine.
If you recreate this or even make your own version, please share it and tag us on instagram @totalsportsnutritionaus