Grated parmesan cheese: 12g
1. Boil the pasta, drain and set aside.
2. Coat chicken in oil, salt and pepper.
3. Blitz the sun-dried tomatoes with the water in a mini food processor or blender until it becomes a sauce, adding more water if it’s too thick. Set aside.
4. Stir fry the chicken over a medium to high heat until starting to brown. Remove from pan and set aside (it will finish cooking in the sauce).
5. Stir fry the onion, then add the tomato mixture and tomato paste and stir to combine. Add more water if it’s too thick. Simmer to let the mixture reduce a little bit.
6. Mix the ricotta, chicken stock and extra sharp grated Parmesan cheese in a bowl. Add to the tomato mixture and stir to combine.
7. Add the chicken to the mixture and simmer until cooked through.
8. Add the pasta and stir to combine. Salt and pepper to taste.
9. Let simmer while you stir fry the veggies.
10. Plate up the veggies then top with the chicken and tomato mixture and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese.
RECIPE HACKS AND UPGRADES
*Remember to adjust macros to suit*
1. Add extra cheese for a higher fat and protein meal.
2. Use cream instead of low fat ricotta for a higher fat meal.
3. Keep the pasta separate to serve as the base and increase the amount for a higher carb meal. Watch out for high protein / low carb pasta – it might not always be the best choice. I usually need to avoid it because I struggle to not go over my protein for the day. Just be smart with your use of pasta if you’re on lower carbs.
4. Serve with some crusty bread and butter! Again, watch out for apparent “low carb” bread and wraps. You’d be surprised how these stack up against the regular ones when you dig a little deeper in the nutritional panel. Also, you will save yourself the high price tag that usually comes with the “special” ones.
5. Add baby spinach to create more volume.
If you recreate this or even make your own version, please share it and tag us on instagram @totalsportsnutritionaus